Saturday, May 28, 2011

"Bridesmaids"

Judd Apatow, the man behind "Knocked Up" and "40-Year Old Virgin", brings us "Bridesmaids".

Having been touted to be the female version of "The Hangover", I knew I'd have to see "Bridesmaids".  It's not very often that a movie comes along with a strong comedic female cast.  I don't know why... for some reason many female-led comedies haven't been as funny as their counterparts.  I knew I had to give this movie a chance.  Look at that cast!

I'm not an SNL watcher, so I only knew Kristin Wiig and the other ladies from other roles they've played.  I've always been a fan of Melissa McCarthy since her "Gilmore Girls" days, so I was really curious to see what she would bring to the table.

For any woman planning a wedding, she can only hope that the antics that she and her own girlfriends get into before the Big Day are even remotely like the situations these ladies find themselves in.   During the bridal salon scene, I found myself laughing so hard that I cried.  And then even after the scene had ended, I found myself still giggling and shaking in my seat as I tried to stifle the chuckling as my mind just kept going back to what I had just seen on the screen.  The best way I can describe it is like when you try to stifle a sneeze -- it just doesn't work.

This movie not only showcases some extreme, yet hilarious, situations, it also focuses on the friendships that the characters share with each other.  What do you do when your best friend of over 20 years all of the sudden has another best friend who's beautiful, successful, and rich?  How do you compete with that? 

And then add the other stresses that have managed to pile on top of Wiig's character.   There is some truth to the saying that when you've hit rock bottom, there's nowhere to go but up.  You can't help but root for her.

Real and true friendships survive anything and this movie shows that we will do anything and everything for someone we love so they'll be happy.

I highly recommend this movie.  Hell, see it more than once!  I did!  And it's just as funny the second time around.  It's a feelgood movie.  You're going to laugh.  You're going to cry (because you're laughing so hard).  You might find yourself crushing on one of the men of the movie. ;-)

Knowing that the movie was co-written by two women (Wiig and Annie Mumolo, whom you'll spot in the film) endeared me to it more.  To me, it meant that there was some truth behind what was being written.  I feel that only women can really get what goes on in a woman's head.  It doesn't matter how great of a writer a man is, he doesn't get "it" all of the time.  Only a woman truly understands.

The only thing I can say that disappointed me about this movie was that I would have loved to have seen what these girls could get into if it had taken place in Vegas.  But then again, it could've just ended up being a "Hangover" rip-off.  I don't want that. 

As women, we can definitely get into our own trouble.  No boys needed.

I cannot wait for this to be released on DVD/Blu-Ray because I have a feeling the bonus features are going to make me pee my pants.

I'd love to know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment